This 1957 Porsche 356A 1600S coupe was sold through International Sports Cars Ltd. In Sacramento, CA to its first owner in 1957. The current owner purchased the car on April 3rd, 1963 for a purchase price of $1,795.00.
The 356A is finished in Ivory (5704-elfenbein) over red vinyl and is currently powered by a later model 1.6-liter flat-four paired engine sourced from a 1968 912 (engine# 1280620) mated to a four-speed manual transaxle. The original, numbers matching engine is included in the sale along with original engine parts, trim, steering wheel, front & rear bumpers, and other factory correct components for this car.
Receipts document extensive repairs and refurbishment efforts of the course of the past 50+ years. The current owner changed the engine to a Porsche 912 in January, 1975. Receipts document a comprehensive rebuild at that time, of both top and bottom ends. Documents from the owner estimate that just over 40K miles have been added since the engine rebuild. Receipts also document a replacement transmission from a 1959 Coupe installed in March, 1966.
Chrome-finished 15″ steel wheels wear polished moon hubcaps and Dunlop Steel Radial tires size 185/70 15”. The car rides on Koni Classic Series shocks. A recent safety inspection has been completed and results are positive and shown in the gallery of photos.
The cabin wears red vinyl seating and square-weave carpeting, some of which has been replaced over the years including a replacement black dash pad and black rear panel (chosen to reduce windshield/rear window glare) behind the rear seats. The original black rubber floor covering remains in place showing wear in some areas. The functional original Blaupunkt AM/FM/SW in-dash radio is still fitted to the dash as are front kick panel speakers. Holes in the glove box remain from previously mounted German badges (no longer available). Black chrome latch seat belts are fitted to the front seats.
The car remains in largely original condition including a number of period enhancements that have been in place for many years including the black-color vintage Racemark 3-spoke steering wheel (original steering wheel included with the sale and shown in photos), instrumentation consisting of a 6k-rpm tachometer, a 120-mph speedometer, and a combination gauge. The five-digit odometer showing 65,680 miles, though the total mileage is unknown. The owner reports that the car has traveled a total of 265,680 miles since new.
The 1.6-liter flat-four is said to have been rebuilt and modified in 1969 prior to the 912 engine upgrade. Upgrades included aluminum cylinders, 912 connecting rods, 1700 pistons/cylinders, new Solex 40PII-4 carbs/intake manifolds, 912 springs, and an aftermarket camshaft. The twin Zenith carburetors replaced during the refurbishment are included in the sale.
A copy of the Kardex lists the original powertrain numbers. The attached reference document supports an original “#’s matching” engine based on engines fitted during the production years of the 1957 1600S. The engine range for Type 666/2 (1600S) cars produced in 1957 being between 80757 – 81199. Chassis numbers for the “A” Coupe range from 100001 – 101692. This example of the Ruetter 1600S carries Chassis number 101623 with engine# 81170. Refer to photos for both numbers supporting engine matching and supported by the Kardex report.
A significant number of factory original components accompany the sale including: the original engine, steering wheel, front & rear bumpers, original intake and carburetion, and a large volume of internal engine components and exterior trim. The gallery shows the parts in detail.
Included with the sale are vintage PCA magazines dating back to the 1970’s, historical photos with the “bell-bottomed” owner, nerf bars and the aftermarket Porsche shift knob that have been on the car since the 70’s.
This 356A 1600S is now offered on dealer consignment with owner documentation, historical photos, previously mentioned parts a copy of the Kardex, and a clean California original “pink slip” (title) describing the car as a 1957 model.