Professionally Restored to High Standards – 2 Owner California “Beetle”
Finished in Factory “Pearl White” with “Ruby Red” Leatherette
Completed Fewer than 500 MILES AGO!
Completely Disassembled, New Paint, Trim, Professionally Rebuilt Engine & MORE
DETAILS—THIS PARTICULAR 1962 VW BEETLE
We have always loved the pre-1968 VW Beetles and believe they represent the purest form of the classic VW “Bug.” This VW was completely restored within 500 miles, and has a history of having only 2 California owners. It has lived in California its entire life and was chosen as an excellent candidate for a comprehensive restoration candidate as a result of its extremely straight body, original panels, and lack of rust. Unlike cars from inclement weather regions that have significant rust, restoring a rust free car with excellent “bones” results in a considerably better finished product. This 1962 VW is certainly evidence of this philosophy.
One of realities of the earlier beetles was the lack of power from the 1200 cc engine. This issue has been addressed by replacing the engine with a completely rebuilt 1600 cc engine with fewer than 500 miles. The file documents the professional rebuild of the engine that makes the car a pleasure to drive without having a negative effect on the original appearance and charm of the VW.
Frankly, this car looks even better in person than in the photos. The quality of the paintwork is as high as we have seen and can best be described as “show level” quality. We ask that you pay particular attention to the photos of the inner fenders, engine compartment, front trunk area, and other areas. Unlike many inexpensive re-paints, or VW’s that are built to “flip”, this car was professionally completed for the owner’s enjoyment and the thought that he would keep the car forever. Unfortunately, financial realities resulted in the reluctant sale of the VW.
- Excellent uniform paint with no indication of partial panel re-painting since restored / complete paint (inside and out including engine bay, front trunk area, dash, and all interior panels)
- Originally configured with no modifications to the body, bumpers, fenders, hood, or deck lid
- Incredible attention to detail with new body hardware, like new inner fenders, floor pans, inner door jambs, etc. Note: Please review all 100 photos
- Excellent German fit of body panels to factory specifications
- Both doors and both front and rear compartments open/close smartly
- NO rust or “patina” anywhere on the car
- Excellent front and rear bumpers
- Excellent glass all around with original glass retained
- Windows operate properly including vent windows
- Driver’s side outside rear view mirror
- Radio antenna on front left side fender area
- All stock exterior trim, stainless steel and chrome accents
- All interior panels re-painted when car was totally disassembled
- Custom interior to stock specifications in beautiful original VW color of “Ruby Red”
- All matching front and rear door panels
- Rich looking “felt” headliner – all new
- Excellent dash with functional gauges, original radio & switches / knobs
- Factory sun visors in like new condition
- Replaced weatherstrip on doors
- Interior stainless door entry trim and forward carpet accents
- New factory style carpet in color coordinated tan
- Color coordinated seat belts (Front & Back)
- Excellent dashboard (car totally disassembled and all interior panels painted when complete and total re-spray was completed)
- Clear, functional gauges
- Beautiful restored steering wheel / white
- Original factory AM radio (not functional)
- No aftermarket speakers
- Original “perforated vinyl” material in rear area behind the seat
ENGINE / FRONT TRUNK AREAS
- Immaculate front compartment
- Restored spare wheel & vintage tire
- Restored Jack & handle
- New trunk liner
- 1.6 liter flat 4 cylinder (rebuilt less than 500 miles ago)
- 4-speed manual transmission
COSMETIC CONDITION SUMMARY
This VW is in exceptional condition having had the benefit of a recent, professional restoration. The car is finished in a classic VW Pearl White with Ruby Red Leatherette interior and proper color coordinated carpet and headliner. The exterior body and trim remain totally stock as do the dashboard, steering wheel and other interior components. The only addition to the VW is a beautiful roof rack that can be easily removed should the new owner decide to do so and an improved exhaust system that gives the VW a “Porsche like” exhaust note. Fortunately, unlike so many VW’s today, it is not lowered, altered, or modified to detract from its original charm and appeal.
The exterior of this ’62 Beetle is striking, especially with the period correct “Ruby Red” interior. It is free from and front end rock chips, scratches, door dings, or any other damage or imperfections that detract from its lovely appearance. Perhaps most important, the 50 year old VW (difficult to believe, but true!) is completely devoid of rust and we are told that the car, prior to restoration, was a solid, 2 owner car that had lived in California its entire life (supported by the original black California license plates with proper numbering sequence. Having been replaced, all of the bright work is like new as are the bumpers, over-riders, window trim and all other exterior bits. The valence panel under the front bumper is free from the usual damage and the inner front trunk is also free from damage and the factory welds are visible. There are not indications of accident damage to the front, rear, or underside of the VW.
The interior is as fresh as the exterior and was completed with a commitment to quality, and attention to detail. No shortcuts were taken and the entire interior was redone at the time the car was disassembled for restoration and included new seating material, matching door panels (front and rear), new carpet, restoration of the dash / steering wheel, all new rubber trim, and much more The seats are excellent as are the door panels. We ask that you review the photos and believe that the old adage “A photo is worth a thousand words” certainly applies to this lovely VW Beetle.
The immaculate engine compartment reflects the “engine out” restoration and engine rebuild.
The VW brings back wonderful memories of one of our first car, a 1967 VW Beetle. The car is great fun to drive and is totally reliable, fuel efficient, and receives admiring glances from the large number of previous owner’ that enjoyed Beetle ownership in years past.
The car starts immediately and all of the operating systems are completely functional. It shifts well through all of the gears, the clutch engages properly and without slippage, and the brakes stop the car straight and sure. The emergency brake is properly adjusted. The steering is tight and precise and the car is free from wind noise due to the replacement of virtually all of the rubber seals when the car was restored. All of the lighting systems are functional.
The VW represents a properly restored car that can be enjoyed as a very high end “driver”, or an occasional use car. If taken to a local show, the car will undoubtedly garner considerable attention from admiring fans along with the possibility of recognition from show judges.