Absolutely Striking, Restored California 1964 Volkswagen Beetle
Complete Paint, All New Trim, Interior, Engine Rebuilt & Much More!
Disc brakes, Roof Rack, AM/FM High Quality, Considerable Attention to Detail…
NOTE: Our listings are rather lengthy. They not only describe this particular car but also some history of the make/model, considerations in buying a classic car and facts about our company. However, we continually hear from out-of-state / out-of- country buyers (many of our clients) that they prefer the level of detail that we provide. However, if you are not prepared to read the full listing, please scan the DETAILS below along with viewing the PHOTOGRAPHS at the bottom. If you’d prefer, please call us at 925-846-1451 and we’ll gladly discuss the VW and answer any questions over the telephone, including our “Buy it Now” policy. Yes, the VW can be purchased prior to the end of the eBay auction.
This car is offered at a realistic price and, unlike bidding on cars in an auction environment, you will have the benefit of extensive information and history on the car prior to making a buying decision. Equally as important is the fact that Classic Cars Ltd. has been in business for 27+ years and enjoys an excellent national / international relationship with over 1,000+ positive eBay feedback responses.
Please keep in mind that we will gladly…
- Answer any questions over the telephone and take the time to guide prospective customers through the buying process (925-846-1451).
- Assist with locating a quality, suitable transporter at very competitive prices.
- Provide proof that we are licensed, bonded (for the financial transaction), fully insured, and operate from an established showroom environment.
- Provide feedback from previous buyers, and specific references for vehicle purchases in your area (we also ask that you view our detailed eBay feedback by clicking on the number to the right of the eBay user name)
- Offer additional information including specific photographs or clarification of any part of our description of the vehicle
Thank you again, please let me know if I can be of assistance.
Paul R. Wankle, Pres.
Classic Cars Ltd.
DETAILS—THIS PARTICULAR 1964 VW BEETLE
We have always loved the pre-1968 VW Beetles and believe they represent the purest form of the classic VW “Bug.” This VW was completely restored in Southern California and is reported as a lifelong California car. The body and undercarriage support the clean, dry cars that we see on the West Coast making perfect choices for restorations based on their excellent solid condition. Unlike cars from inclement weather regions that have significant rust, restoring a rust free car with excellent “bones” results in a considerably better finished product. This 1964 VW is certainly evidence of this philosophy.
- Very strong rebuilt 40 hp rebuilt engine
- 4-speed manual transmission
- Front Disc Brakes
- Color coordinated front seat belts
- Excellent, upgraded 185/50/15” matching tires and color coordinated wheels with chrome center caps
- Disc brakes
- Excellent uniform paint with no indication of partial panel re-painting since restored / complete paint (inside and out / trim removed)
- Originally configured with no modifications to the body, bumpers, fenders, hood, or deck lid
- German fit of body panels
- Both doors and both front and rear compartments open/close smartly
- Very solid door bottoms and rocker panels
- Excellent front and rear bumpers
- Excellent glass all around
- Driver’s side outside rear view mirror
- Radio antenna properly mounted on left front fender
- All stock exterior trim, stainless steel and chrome accents
- Excellent dashboard (car totally disassembled and all interior panels painted when complete and total re-spray was completed)
- Interior upgraded (front & rear) with tasteful “basket weave” vinyl in a color coordinated original style fabric
- Matching front and rear door panels
- Replaced headliner free from sagging, damage or stains
- Factory sun visors in like new condition
- Replaced weatherstrip on doors
- Excellent factory style carpet
- Clear, functional gauge / speedometer
- Beautiful original black steering wheel
- Nicely installed aftermarket AM/FM radio with stock speaker
- Beautifully carpeted / finished in rear area behind the seat
ENGINE / FRONT TRUNK AREAS
- Detailed engine and compartment
- Straight clean floor pan
- Free from rust through / rot
- Immaculate front compartment including spare tire
- Proper Identification # plate and matches ID # on the frame (under seat)
This VW is in beautiful condition having been lovingly restored. The car is finished in a beautiful light yellow exterior with a light “ash” interior. The exterior body and trim remain totally stock, as do the dashboard, steering wheel, and most interior components. Any upgrades to the exterior and interior were done tastefully, and with quality materials to give the Beetle a more contemporary appearance. An AM/FM radio has been added along with front seat belts for increased safety. Otherwise, the car retains virtually stock configuration and is devoid of some of the modifications that we see on older VW’s.
The exterior is totally free from any signs of rust, or damage that detracts from the overall appearance of the VW. In fact, the car is devoid of the normally seen door dings and other imperfections that we see on vehicles of this era. Perhaps most important, the 50 year old VW (difficult to believe, but true!) is completely devoid of rust. The bright work is “California quality” with no pitting, rust, fading. The bumpers are totally straight, include the factory over-riders and are free from pitting, or rust. The valence panel under the front bumper is free from the usual damage and the inner front trunk is also free from damage. Adding to the appearance of the exterior is an attractive and functional luggage/roof rack. NOTE: Items on top of vehicle (ice chest, luggage, and surf board are not included.
The interior shows as well as the exterior and was completed with a commitment to quality and attention to detail. We encourage a close review of the photos and believe the old adage: “A photo is worth a thousand words” certainly applies with this particular VW.
No shortcuts were taken, and the entire interior was redone at the time the car was disassembled for restoration and included new seating material,matching door panels (front and rear), new carpet, mats, and restoration of the dash / steering wheel. The seats are excellent, as are the door panels. Nice black floor mats cover the very good black rubber floors at all 4 positions. We ask that you review the photos and believe that the old adage “A photo is worth a thousand words” certainly applies in this instance.
The immaculate engine compartment reflects the “engine out” restoration and engine rebuild.
MECHANICAL CONDITION / DRIVEABILITY
The VW brings back wonderful memories of one of our first car, a 1967 VW Beetle. The car is great fun to drive and is totally reliable, fuel efficient, and receives admiring glances from the large number of previous owners that enjoyed Beetle ownership in years past.
The car received a mechanical refurbishment and has been well cared for since its restoration. The current meticulous owner has owned a number of VW Beetles and utilizes professionals to service his cars giving them the attention that they require. Within the last 200 miles, the car has received the following:
- Passed the require California safety inspection
- Replacement of the steering rack
- New Dual master cylinder (an upgrade for safety from the original single master cylinder)
- Bleed and adjust brakes (car has had front disc brake upgrade)
- New oil pressure switch
- New emergency brake handle
The car starts immediately and all of the operating systems are completely functional. It shifts well through all of the gears, the clutch engages properly and without slippage, and the brakes stop the car straight and sure. The emergency brake is properly adjusted. The steering is tight and precise and the car is free from wind noise due to the replacement of virtually all of the rubber seals when the car was restored. All of the lighting systems are functional.
The VW represents a properly restored car that can be enjoyed as regular transportation, an occasional use car, or proudly taken to local shows where it will, undoubtedly, garner considerable attention from admiring fans.
- Passed the California required safety inspection for working wipers, turn signals, lights, brakes, etc.
- For California buyers, the car does not require smog and is currently registered until February, 2021.
SPECIFICATIONS OF THE 1964 VW BEETLE
- Length: 6”
- Wheelbase: 5”
- Width: 6”
- Height: 1”
- Ground clearance: 6”
- Turning circle: 4’
- Weight: 1,672 lb.
- Engine: 1,285 cc flat 4 cylinder 78.4 c.i.
- Transmission: 4 speed manual transmission
- Fuel capacity: 6 gal
HISTORY OF THE VOLKSWAGEN BEETLE
The Volkswagen Beetle, officially the Volkswagen Type 1, or informally in the US the Volkswagen Bug, is a two-door, four passenger, rear-engined economy car manufactured and marketed by German automaker Volkswagen (VW) from 1938 until 2003. Volkswagen means literally, “people’s car” in German.
The need for this kind of car and its functional objectives were formulated by Adolf Hitler, desiring an inexpensive, simple car to be mass-produced for the new German road network. He contracted Porsche in 1934 to design and build it to his exacting standards. Ferdinand Porsche and his team took until 1938 to finalize it, although the design was based entirely on the work of Béla Barényi, who completed the design in 1925. This is one of the first rear-engined cars. With over 24 million manufactured in an air-cooled, rear-engined, rear-wheel drive configuration, the Beetle is the longest-running and most-manufactured car of a single design platform worldwide.
Classic Cars Ltd.