Recently Restored 1967 Austin Healey Sprite MKIV
High Quality Restoration to Totally Original Specifications
100% Sorted & Ready to Enjoy!
NOTE: Our listings are rather lengthy. They not only describe this particular car but also some history of the make/model, considerations in buying a classic car and facts about our firm. However, we continually hear from out of state / out of country buyers (many of our clients) that they prefer the level of detail that we provide. However, if you are not prepared to read the full listing, please read the OVERVIEW below along with the PHOTOGRAPHS at the bottom. If you’d prefer, please call us at 925-846-1451 and we’ll gladly discuss the Sprite and answer any questions over the telephone, including our “Buy it Now” policy. Yes, the Sprite can be purchased prior to the end of the eBay auction.
Please keep in mind that we will gladly…
- Answer any questions over the telephone and take the time to guide prospective customers through the buying process (925-846-1451).
- Assist with locating a quality, suitable transporter at very competitive prices.
- Provide proof that we are licensed, bonded (for the financial transaction), fully insured, and operate from an established showroom environment.
- Provide feedback from previous buyers, and specific references for vehicle purchases in your area (we also ask that you view our detailed eBay feedback by clicking on the number to the right of the eBay user name)
- Offer additional information including specific photographs or clarification of any part of our description of the vehicle
Thank you again, please let me know if I can be of assistance.
Tripp White, Pres.
Classic Cars Ltd.
OVERVIEW—THIS PARTICULAR 1967 AUSTIN-HEALEY SPRITE
This striking 1967 Austin-Healey Sprite reportedly underwent a cosmetic and mechanical restoration in the 2017 time-frame. It is 100% “turn-key”, sorted, and ready to enjoy for the upcoming summer and fall months. The Sprite is an exceptional example, finished in PPG “Brilliant Red” with a black interior accented with white piping.
The Sprite remains in virtually stock configuration with the exception of a few period upgrades including Panasport style wheels. The original restored wheels and stock hubcaps are included with the Sprite. The Sprite comes with additional miscellaneous parts including tune-up components, air & oil filters, and miscellaneous electrical parts. These are shown in the 150+ photos and include documentation for recent repairs, literature, and an original owners manual.
Over the course of our 27+ years in business, we have seen a large number of AH Sprites with many being garage “restorations.” This car was completed to a high standard with many details that separate a professional restoration from an amateur “re-do.” The old adage “The Devil is in the Details” certainly has application in this case.
A summary of the Austin Healey Sprites features include:
- Later model 1275 cc A-Series engine with dual SU carburetors (rebuilt)
- 4 speed fully synchromesh rib case transmission
- New cloth wiring harness
- Clear fully functional gauges including speedometer, tachometer, oil pressure & fuel gauge
- Complete high quality PPG trim removed respray
- Very high quality chrome, emblems and brightwork
- Laser straight, rust free body
- Freshly restored black interior
- New carpet & matching black mats
- New black convertible top
- New front shock absorbers
- Rebuilt braking system & functional e-brake
- Upgraded Panasport wheels with new tires
- New battery
DETAILS-THIS PARTICULAR 1967 AUSTIN-HEALEY SPRITE MARK IV
This Sprite has undergone a professional restoration within the past 3 years. Much of the body was stripped to bare metal and the only rust that was found existed in the center of the front floor pans. Both floor pans were professionally replaced and the photos show a high quality replacement and clean welds. An inspection of the underside and typically rust-prone areas reveals a very solid car with excellent rust free/damage free jacking points, spring perches, rocker panels and hood/trunk areas.
A new black convertible top has been installed and a rear convertible boot with proper fittings can be seen in the photos.
The interior has been redone in proper black with white piping that nicely complements the bright red exterior. The knobs and switches are excellent and the gauges have been freshened. New weather strips have been installed.
The entire brake system has been redone using new lines, a new master cylinder, new wheel cylinders, new shoes and all drums were turned.
The 1275 cc “Spridget” engine, which reportedly was rebuilt at the time of the restoration, has less than 5,000 miles. The engine was cleaned and painted the proper green color. A new thermostat and spark plugs were installed and new motor mounts were used.
The rib case 4-speed synchromesh transmission was also cleaned and painted the proper green. Proper shiny new chrome air filters have added to the dual SU carburetors. A proper cloth-braided wiring harness has been installed in the 12 volt electrical system, now a negative ground. A new battery was installed. All fluids have been drained and replaced in late 2019.
Anyone who has done a restoration knows it is expensive! The above description does not include all of the many details involved. The reserve price is considerably lower than the cost of restoring the car, not including the time necessary to complete the task.
- Proper 1275 cc “Spridget” engine w/ dual SU carburetors; proper Austin-Healey green
- 4-speed rib case synchromesh transmission; Austin-Healey green
- Rear wheel drive
- New Panasport style wheels with tires carrying date codes of late 2016.
- Original wheels included (refer to photos)
- Spare tire and jack in rear compartment
- Completely renewed drum braking system
- Excellent chatter-free clutch
- Rebuilt front suspension
- Noise free rear end
- New cloth-braided wiring harness
- New battery
- 12 volt negative ground system
- 12 volt generator
- Fresh PPG red paint (Completed in late 2017)
- New black convertible top and tonneau cover
- Excellent replacement windshield
- Fresh/new black upholstery and carpet with no damage or flaws
- Factory correct gauges…all functional. Including the tachometer. All displaying proper readings.
- Original steering wheel with functional horn
- Functional windscreen washers
- Excellent switches, controls
- Driver and passenger seat belts
As a result of the new restoration, the Sprite is in exceptional cosmetic condition both inside and out. Frankly, we rarely see Sprites restored to a standard that is more characteristic of a considerably more costly car. The extensive photographs truly tell the story and accurately reflect the car’s condition including the body, paint, engine compartment, interior, rear compartment and underside.
MECHANICAL CONDITION – RUNNING / DRIVING
The Sprite starts immediately with the use of the functional choke and warms up quickly. It idles smoothly and does not overheat, even in our warm California climate. It runs and drives incredibly well and offers significantly improved performance compared to the earlier smaller displacement AH Sprites. The engine is very strong and does not exhibit any issues. There is no smoke, leaking, or unusual noise and this is also true of the transmission and drive-line components. The Sprite has excellent power through all of the gears and does not hesitate or exhibit drivability problems
The transmission shifts smoothly and the clutch engages and does not chatter or make noise. The car does not pop out of gear and shifts are short, precise, and the synchros are excellent. The restored braking system stops the car straight and sure. The emergency brake is fully functional and holds the car on a relatively steep incline. The steering is tight and precise and the car offers handling that will leave the driver with a smile for miles to come.
HISTORY OF THE AUSTIN-HEALEY SPRITE
The Austin-Healey Sprite was produced from 1958 through 1971 with over 130,000 examples of the two-door, low-cost, open roadster being manufactured. The car was designed by the Healey Motor Company, more specifically Donald Healey, and produced in partnership with the British Motor Corporation (BMC).
The cars were easy to maintain, offered great handling and epitomized the British Sports car experience of the 1950’s / 1960’s. While the cars were certainly not considered high performance, they were geared to have “zippy” performance in the lower ranges and, equipped with the larger, later model engines, the was capable of speeds approaching 100 mph.
When it comes to drivability, performance, handling and “creature Comforts”, the 1967 Austin Healey Sprite is considered the best of the late model Sprites. By 1967 the Sprite received a number of upgrades not found in the previous under powered cars. Specifically, features of the 1967 Austin Healey Sprite includes:
– Numbers Matching 1275 cc dual carburetor 4 cylinder engine (similar to the Mini Cooper “S” power unit) Note: a significant improvement vs. the previous 948cc engine
– 4-speed syncromesh transmission
– Easy to raise/lower, permanently affixed convertible top (not “build the top” seen in earlier Sprites)
– Roll-up windows
– Front disc brakes
– Free from smog and safety equipment that followed in subsequent years
SPECIFICATIONS 1967 AUSTIN HEALEY SPRITE MK IV
Engine Location: Front
Drive Type: Rear Wheel
Body Material: Steel Uni-body
Production Years: 1967 MK IV
Price New: Approximately $2,000.00
Weight: 1320 lbs. | 598.8 kg
Top Speed: 85 mph+ | 145.5 km
Engine Configuration: I
Displacement: 1275 cc
Valves: OHV; 8 valves; 2 valves per cylinder
Engine Electronics: 12-volt
Fuel Feed: Dual SU H1 carburetors (stock)
Transmission: Manual 4-speed
Classic Cars Ltd.