1969 Lotus Elan +2 – Type 50
Long-term California Ownership – Extensive Documented Professional Maintenance
Rebuilt Weber Head Twin Cam <10K Miles / Recent Quality, Complete Paint & Body $20,000+ Invested During the Past 10,000 Miles
NOTE: Our listings are rather lengthy. They not only describe this particular car but also some history of the make/model, considerations in buying a classic car and facts about our firm. However, we continually hear from out of state / out of country buyers (many of our clients) that they prefer the level of detail that we provide. However, if you are not prepared to read the full listing, please read the THEM, PLEASE CALL US AT 925-846-1451 AND WE WILL PROVIDE A DIRECT LINK. NOTE: IT IS A VIOLATION OF eBay POLICY FOR US TO LIST THE URL ON THE EBAY LISTING. PLEASE LET US KNOW IF YOU WOULD LIKE ADDITIONAL PHOTOS OF ANY PART OF THE TIGER.
This car is offered at a realistic price and, unlike bidding on cars in an auction environment, you will have the benefit of extensive information and history on the car prior to making a buying decision. Equally as important is the fact that Classic Cars Ltd. has been in business for over 25+ years and enjoys an excellent national / international relationship with nearly 1,000 positive eBay feedback responses.
Please keep in mind that we will gladly…
- Answer any questions over the telephone and take the time to guide prospective customers through the buying process (925-846-1451).
- Assist with locating a quality, suitable transporter at very competitive prices.
- Provide proof that we are licensed, bonded (for the financial transaction), fully insured, and operate from an established showroom environment.
- Provide feedback from previous buyers, and specific references for vehicle purchases in your area (we also ask that you view our detailed eBay feedback by clicking on the number to the right of the eBay user name)
- Offer additional information including specific photographs or clarification of any part of our description of the vehicle
Thank you again, please let me know if I can be of assistance.
Paul Wankle, President
THIS PARTICULAR LOTUS ELAN +2
This 1969 Lotus Elan +2 is finished in Carnival Red with black interior and has a documented history of ownership in California for over 20 years. The Elan is #50 of 1,359 Elan +2’s.The Lotus remains in stock configuration and is fitted with the reliable factory 1558cc twin-cam in-line 4 cylinder mated to the delightful 4-speed Elan gearbox. The Elan has benefited from ongoing documented maintenance by local, Bay area Lotus and exotic car specialists and includes considerable maintenance history, a factory repair manual, parts manual, factory original knock off alloy wheels, take-offs and miscellaneous spare parts, and a clear current California and registration.
Major receipts document significant frequent an ongoing repairs and maintenance. At 38,071 miles ago (8,644 miles ago based on current odometer reading) the Elan received an extensive engine rebuild at a cost of $9,397.18 along with other repairs, by a respected Bay area repair facility. During a previous major service, the Elan received the benefit of a conversation to twin Weber 40 DCOE side-draft carburetors. A proper air box was also installed along with a complete tune-up. In mid-late 2018, within a few hundred miles, the car received an additional ~$7,500.00 in work including a replacement flywheel ring gear, major service, radiator replacement, all new fluids (including transmission, rear end, coolant and oil), power window repairs, complete suspension inspection, new tires, and much more (detailed later in this listing).
The extensive receipts reflect long time ownership by a limited number of owners, including possession of the car for over 10 years by a recent owner. The file supports minor and major service by respected specialists, including well-known and respected Bay area Lotus specialist Kampena Motors and the comprehensive engine rebuild by Dino Motors.
Additional details of the cars repair history based using repair invoice mileage readings is as follows: Note: due to the significant volume of maintenance and preventive maintenance receipts, only larger, more significant repairs are listed.
- New oil pressure sending unit
- Steering column bushings replaced
- Brakes bled, system checked (car fitted with stainless steel brake lines)
- Fuel tank drained / fuel sending unit replaced
- New speedometer cable installed
- Remove door panels and repair window operation (both sides)
- Install new shift pin to affix to shifter base
- New tires (4)
- New ring gear / replace fly wheel
- Re-core radiator / replace hoses / new coolant
- Oil & filter
- Change transmission fluid
- Tune-Up & new plug wires
- New fuel pump
- Replace distributor
- Complete re-paint & body work as needed
- New exterior badge & lenses
- Complete engine rebuild (lower end & head) & subsequent head re-torque, adjust valves & set timing, adjust carburetors, oil service
- Water pump kit
- New clutch & related components
- Seal transmission
- New transmission mount
- New alternator
- New jetting for Weber carbs
- Replacement ½ shaft
- New Kangol seat belt buckles
- Replaced roto-flex couplings
- Multiple oil changes, carburetor adjustments and general maintenance
Paint and body work were completed by Automotive Enterprises, San Carlos, CA. Specializing in fiberglass repairs and high quality for over 45 years, Automotive Enterprises has had considerable experience with Lotus and other fiberglass and composite cars. The Lotus was brought down to bare fiberglass and properly prepared for a high quality re-spray. To ensure high quality, the car was brought down to bare fiberglass, blocked multiple times, properly primed and trim removed prior to the re-paint. The hood, doors and trunk were properly aligned and certain panels received reinforcing as required. The front and rear windows were removed, as was the trim. Lower areas (rocker panels and front and rear lower valances) were finished in a rough protective coating and painted body color to minimize rock chips and road rash.
According to Automotive Enterprises, the work was finalized 2-3 years ago at an estimated cost of $15-$20K. The paint and body remain in very good condition as the Lotus has seen minimal use since the work was completed. The paint was completed to a high level and no partial re-painting has occurred since the complete cosmetic exterior restoration (including painting of door jambs, under hood, and trunk areas with trim removed). There is a minor paint imperfection on the left front headlight in the form of a very thin paint crack measuring approximately 2.5.”Overall, the paint is excellent and well represented in the photos. Any minor imperfections require close, critical inspection to be noticed and in no way detract from the appearance of the Lotus.
The body is in equally good condition and importantly, free from the characteristic crazing/cracking seen around the trunk hinges, hood, rear body, and other parts of the Elan. There is no body damage, with straight bumpers that are properly aligned. Door gaps, trunk, and hood gaps are good and were improved when the extensive body and paint work was completed within the past few years. The bright-work surrounding the windows, door handles, lower rocker panels, gas cap, and emblems. Windows are free from cracks and damage and the power windows are fully functional. The often problematic headlight buckets have been sorted, and open and close properly and without a “helping hand.”
The interior is in stock configuration with seats that are in good condition, free from rips and tears and in the original material. The front seat belts have had the benefit of replacement Kangol seat belt buckles. The back seating area has been redone and the seats are in good condition, including a pair of rear lap belts. The headliner is excellent. Carpet appears to be original as do the door panels and while both show patina from age, they are in good condition due to the limited usage of the Lotus.
The dashboard appears to be original to the car and is also in good condition with the typical crazing seen on a Lotus of this vintage. Speedometer and tachometer are functional as are the other gauges with the exception of the oil temperature gauge. The oil pressure gauge and water temperature gauges display normal readings.
The Elan runs and drives well, indicative of the ongoing, recent, significant repairs that it has received under the care of long term owners. In typical Lotus fashion, the twin-cam Weber head engine provides nice power from a manufacturer known for producing cars with an excellent power to weight ratio. The gauges support the cars mechanical condition with good oil pressure, water temperature well within limits even on warm California days, and a fully functional charging system. The steering is light and precise, and the handling a delight. Tires are new within a few hundred miles and mounted on attractive, factory knock-off alloy wheels.
PURCHASING A COLLECTOR VEHICLE – THINGS TO CONSIDER
As always, we recommend that you carefully review the seller’s background for any collector car being sold over the Internet. It is important to ask yourself a number of questions including, but not limited to:
- How long have they been in business?
- How much experience do they have with collector cars?
- How many positive collector car vehicle sales have they completed (positive eBay feedback)?
- How detailed/complete is the description of the vehicle?
- Do the photos show details of the interior, exterior, top, chrome, etc. or are they simply “glamour shots” taken from a distance?
- Does the seller have a Surety Bond to protect the financial transaction?
- What about insurance, licensing by the state, and a local business licenses
- Does the seller (if a business) have any DMV (Motor Vehicle) complaints and/or other history of legal action, grievances?
- Does the seller enjoy a favorable local and national/international reputation?
- Can the seller assist with funding sources, transport and out of state/country sales?
ABOUT CLASSIC CARS LTD.
- Classic Cars Ltd. has been in the same, small, California town for over 25 years. We operate a small “brick & mortar”, indoor showroom, and specialize in the sale, consignment, and purchase of sports, high performance and specialty vehicles of all types. We have a particular interest in sports cars and unique vehicles.
- The majority of our vehicles come from local, private owners and collectors, and many were sold new in California. We appreciate that rust free cars, with excellent documentation and history are especially attractive to our buyers both locally, and around the country. As a result, we do not purchase our collectible cars from “distressed” sales, such as wholesale auctions, salvage sales, or lien sales. We do not sell vehicles with salvage titles, or those that have a history of significant accident damage or repair.
- We have sold hundreds of unique, classic and collectible vehicles and regularly deal with buyers that have not had the experience of purchasing a large (both physically and monetarily) item on eBay, or through an Internet source. Our eBay feedback is 100% positive on all vehicle sales from customers around the globe and is a reflection of our commitment to accurate, complete, and thorough vehicle descriptions.
- We have been shipping vehicles for years and have established excellent contacts that are not only high quality but very price competitive. We do not use brokers, terminal shipping or other discount methods. Call us or email for a quote directly to your home or office. We are often able to obtain quality enclosed transportation (the kind of travel this car deserves) for the cost of open shipping.
- Please review our feedback on eBay (user name Never22Many) representing close to 1,000 positive transactions to buyers all over the United States / World.
- We are fully insured, bonded, and licensed for collector car sales all over the United States/World.
- Classic Cars Ltd. carries a $50,000 Surety bond to cover financial transactions
- We frequently sell vehicles to out of State / out of country buyers, and will be glad to provide references for buyers in your area.
MISCELLANEOUS GENERAL INFORMATION
- As with virtually all collector/specialty vehicles, we find that parts and resources are readily available for this (and most every vehicle), thanks in large part to the Internet.
- In addition to the purchase price of the vehicle, California buyers will be subject to sales tax, a documentation fee, DMV transfer fees and license/registration. Out-of-state buyers will be responsible for the purchase price of the vehicle and any local taxes/fees will be the purchaser’s responsibility to pay in their respective state. IMPORTANT NOTE: If the vehicle is delivered or driven in California and driven on California roads, sales-tax, license/registration and transfer fees will be assessed per California law.
- While we encourage telephone calls to discuss this vehicle in greater detail we will not respond to inquiries asking “What is the reserve”. Also, if you would prefer that we call you to answer any questions about the vehicle; shipping alternatives, etc. please e-mail us with your telephone number and will gladly get back in touch with you.
- We encourage inspections of this Corvette by serious, qualified individuals or professional inspectors. Please call at 925-846-1451 to arrange a convenient time
- As with any collectible vehicle of this vintage we are unable to provide a warranty or guarantee of condition. However, we make every effort to accurately represent our vehicles, and highlight both positive items as well as areas that require attention. We ask that prospective buyers consider our eBay history/feedback, standing in the community, length of time in business, and other factors when purchasing a collectible vehicle from Classic Cars Ltd.
- Minor cosmetic issues/flaws may be present on every vehicle (regardless of cost) including small chips, nicks, scratches, etc. that can be seen on even the best restoration, or even a relatively new, used “pre-owned” vehicle. Also, ownership of a collectible / specialty vehicle is more enjoyable if the owner is familiar with the “realities” of these unique cars. Unlike more modern day vehicles, these cars require regular, ongoing care/maintenance and some mechanical knowledge, patience, and understanding can make the experience considerably more pleasant. That said, collector / “specialty” car owners will tell you (emphatically) that they love their cars and wouldn’t trade them for anything!!
- The information contained in this description is believed to be accurate but, in some instances, has been provided by the car’s owner / owners or outside sources. As a result, we are unable to guarantee the accuracy of the information. We encourage verification of “numbers” and significant data prior to the purchase of any collector vehicle that you are considering.
Please contact us at 925-846-1451 with any questions or additional information.
Classic Cars Ltd.