1978 Ferrari 308 GT4
Two Owner Lifetime California Car – 42,246 Miles
Comprehensive Maintenance & Service History with Recent Repairs
Smog Legal & Offered with Original Tools and Books
As with most of our vehicles that come from repeat and referral customers, this Ferrari has been owned by a close friend of Classic Cars Ltd. Originally delivered within 30 miles of our location, the car has led an easy life in Northern California and has had regular, ongoing maintenance by the Ferrari dealer and local Ferrari specialists.
In addition to a comprehensive maintenance / service history that is so critical on Ferrari’s, this example will be delivered with its complete history and the original delivery documents shown in the listing including:
- Original Owner’s Manual (North American version)
- Original Ferrari case in excellent condition
- Original Warranty Card / Owners Service Booklet – Shows delivery details to original owner by Los Gatos Ferrari on September 30, 1978 to Mr. Michael D. M., Santa Cruz, CA
- “Welcome” letter to the original owner dated November, 1978 from the Directtore Generale, Modena, Italy
- Letter from original owner dated 6/4/1997, Mr. Michael M. documenting transfer of ownership to current long-time owner, Mr. W.
- Original dealer installed “Handic Paris II” radio & brochure.
- Period Kenwood radio currently installed
- North American Version 308GT4 Operating manual
- 1978 Sales & Organization locations USA & abroad.
- Originally issued blue & gold license plates (front not mounted but included)
- Complete tool kit
- Original jack
A drive video is included in the listing. The Ferrari has spent its entire life in Northern California under the care of two long time owners. The car has been driven minimally but regularly to prevent issues that surface on cars that are stored for prolonged periods of time or do not receive necessary regular maintenance / servicing identified from occasional use.
This example is exceptionally solid and runs and drives extremely well. The 308 starts immediately whether cold, or warm and idles smoothly with no smoke, or significant leaks. The braking system is also excellent stopping the car straight and sure with a functional e-brake. The car runs cool even in warm Northern California climate and has no history of overheating. It has provided a level of reliability and recently passed the California safety inspection that includes working lighting systems, acceptable brakes, tire depth, exhaust system, and safety items.
With recent service during the past 1,500 miles, many important mechanical items have been addressed including replacement of the timing belts, brake system and cooling inspection and repairs, replacement starter, new motor mounts, new catalytic converter and a recent smog inspection with positive “pass” results.
Specifically, with the odometer reading 41,006, less 1,300 miles ago, the Ferrari received the following work by a local. Long time local Italian repair specialist:
- R&R timing belts
- Replaced catalytic converters
- Rebuilt distributors
- Carburetor work
- Addressed brake / master cylinder issues and repair
- New motor mounts
- Installed new fan temp sensor
- Replaced starter
- Complete oil service / filter
- PASSED CALIFORNIA SMOG 1/15/21
While the extensive maintenance file is too lengthy to summarize in detail, notable repairs within the past 5,000 miles include the following:
- New alternator belt
- 4-wheel wheel alignment
- Replacement of front lower control arms
- Replaced starter
- New air pump diverter
- Carburetor adjusted/tuned
- New axle seals
- Flush anti-freeze
- Replace A/C belts, Cam seal, valve cover gaskets, oil service(s)
The Ferrari has a long history of passing the strict California smog inspection with documentation included.
The Ferrari presents very nicely with a damage free body, excellent bright work and particularly good factory panel fit. There is no indication or report of accident damage or body repairs by the current owner of over 23 years. Close inspection of the paint reveals “checking” in the paint despite the car having been stored inside when not in use. While the paint imperfections are not visible in the photos, they do exist and are part of the originality of this two owner Ferrari. While the car has not had any paint work under the current owner’s care, it appears as if it may have received a complete or partial repaint prior to his ownership by the cars original owner who purchased the Ferrari new and had it for ~20 years.
The interior is all original except for a period Kenwood radio that replaced the factory installed Handic radio (included with the sale). The front seats show the expected patina of leather along with a few relatively minor imperfections consistent with an interior that has been well maintained for over 43 years. There is a minor tear on the driver’s side and passenger seat and the driver’s side bolster shows wear. The dash, door panels, gauges, center console and switches / gauges are in excellent condition. Even the original plastic protection remains on the front door panels.
The trunk is extremely tidy and includes the jack, tools, and original delivery documents accompany the car as shown in photos. This includes the original warranty booklet stamped with the original Sant Cruz owner who took delivery of the Ferrari on 9/30/78.