DETAILS / HISTORY – THIS 1978 PORSCHE 911SC TARGA
In 1965 Porsche began the 911 model line that has become an icon among sports cars. The 911’s continued to improve and offer a wonderful combination of performance, comfort and reliability. By the late 1970’s ongoing refinements and increase in engine displacement made them great cars to drive while retaining the classic Porsche look.This 1978 Porsche 911SC Targa represents a well-cared for example of the highly sought after late 70’s 3.0 liter SC Porsche’s. This 911SC is a unique example which will appeal to the enthusiast or collector, who has an interest in a rust free California car with lovely cosmetics and finished in factory correct Petrol Blue Metallic.
OVERALL COSMETIC / MECHANICAL CONDITION
From a cosmetic perspective, this car rates high. The optional Petrol Blue metallic paint is not only the factory correct color but is the condition of the paint is excellent, as the photos suggest. Perhaps most important, the body is very straight with no current damage or indication of previous damage or repairs. Both front and rear bumper areas are in excellent condition. The Targa top is in very nice original condition with all seals in place and in good condition reflecting the normal, minimal “warping” at the ends of the Targa top. However, the top in in very good overall condition. All side and rear glass is excellent, and factory original. The staggered Fuchs wheels are in exceptional condition with no curb rash, or damage. The Porsche is fitted with premium matching Continental tires that have excellent tread.
The darker brown leather interior presents well and is a lovely contrast to the Petrol Blue exterior. The front seats and trim are in very good condition as is the carpet that is finished in a light shade of color coordinated brown. The car retains a virtually stock interior including gauges, seats (factory sport leather), door panels and other components. The dash is in excellent condition and free from the significant cracks / damage that we often see on earlier 911 cars. The front luggage compartment is also totally original, clean and, most important, removal of the front carpet (refer to photos) reveals a damage free front compartment.
The engine compartment is also all original and has not been overly detailed as is often times the case. It too retains its original configuration, and shows no signs of rear end damage. It shows the expected patina and has had the benefit of ongoing maintenance by knowledgeable, professional mechanics. The underside of the car is not detailed but remains “California” clean and reflective of a low, low mileage car. The entire car is rust free and shows absolutely no signs of accident damage. Our inspection and that of an independent source suggests that the car is free from previous or current body, undercarriage or underside damage and retains its original body panels.
With just over 95,000 well maintained miles, this is not a car that has ever been neglected and the low mileage and superb original condition makes it an investment quality example that is certain to continue to appreciate. However, the car is certainly a usable, drivable classic that would make a spectacular first time Porsche, or addition to a collection of Porsche cars. We can’t think of a more appropriate adage than ‽A car can be restored over and over again but it’s only original once.”
Of course, the 911 has a clear, transferable California title. The current odometer reading of just over 95K miles is supported by receipts that document the chronological mileage progression and work completed over the last several years. However, considering the age of the Porsche we cannot guarantee the mileage and are classifying it as TMU (Total Miles Unknown) despite our sincere belief based on an inspection of the Porsche and history from its credible owner that the mileage is, in fact, 95K.
Within the past 5,000 miles, the Porsche has been maintained and some of the preventative maintenance and repairs include the following:
– Replace ignition lock assembly
– Replace steering shaft
– Replace oil hose and mountings
– Replace fresh air and heater controls
– Install fuel pump check valve and adjust fuel pressure
– Complete minor oil service (2 times during the past 5K miles)
– New battery
– Install new CD ignition unit
– New electric fuel pump
-Check front suspension and re-set tie rod ends, align and tighten all suspension components
INCLUDED WITH THE PORSCHE
– Original factory Owner’s manual & case
– Factory spare and jack
– Receipts for repairs
The 9111SC runs and drives very well. It starts immediately when cold and equally as well once it is fully warmed up. The engine does not hesitate, has excellent power, and it runs smoothly as it is shifted up and down through the syncromesh gears of the totally rebuilt transmission. There is no unusual noise in the drive-line including the rear end, engine, brakes, and other components. The car does occasionally leave its ‽mark” as is common with Porsche’s of this vintage.
The Porsche does not pull to the left or right, or exhibit any drivability issues. Porsche enthusiasts will notice that the instrumentation is correct, and original. All of the lights and electrical system are fully functional.
The Porsche runs at normal operating temperature with no indication of overheating. The other gauges are fully functional (speedometer, tachometer, oil pressure, etc.) as are the lights and horn. The car is well sorted, usable at highway speeds and, personally, we would not hesitate to take it on a long (and enjoyable) journey.
In addition to the extensive list of standard equipment and features on the 1978 Porsche 911SC, this example is fitted with:
• Metallic Petrol Blue Exterior
• Forged / staggered Fuchs alloy wheels
• Leather sport seats
• Front fog lights
• 3.0 Liter flat 6 cylinder ‽boxer” engine
• CIS fuel injection & oxygen sensor
• Overhead camshaft engine with timing chain
• Dry sump engine oil system w/ separate oil tank
• Air cooled
• Air Flow Control fuel injection w/ electric pump
• 5-speed manual transmission
• 4 wheel disc brakes all around w/ power assist
• Unitized chassis construction
• Independent suspension all around w/ torsion bars for each wheel
• Front and rear stabilizer bars
• 16-inch (225 rear / 205 front) staggered Fuchs forged alloy wheels
• Like new Continental radial tires
• Factory Air Conditioning
• Newer battery
• Factory correct / original color of Petrol Blue Metallic
• No rust California car
• No reports of accidents or any indication of previous or current body, undercarriage or suspension damage
• Very straight body and exterior trim
• Precision ‽German quality” fit of all body panels
• Excellent glass all around
• Front bumper area and lower valence are very good
• Both black rear bumperettes and exterior trim in beautiful condition
• Dual factory outside rear view mirrors
• Dark brown interior provides a lovely contrast to the Petrol blue exterior• Excellent front leather front seats showing virtually no wear due to low mileage (95K~)
• Excellent interior finished in beautiful black leather with matching original Targa top
• Rear jump seats w/ folding backs
• Factory 3-point front seat belts
• Factory 2-point rear seat belts
• Color coordinated factory brown carpet in very good condition
• Dark brown leather interior with factory sport seats
• Damage / crack free dash
• Totally clear gauges
• Very nice color coordinated door panels
• Factory leather steering wheel is excellent with no ‽ring marks” / damage
• Both doors and front rear compartment lids open/close solidly with perfect gaps
• Upgraded radio
• Front compartment is clean and has excellent stain free / no damage carpet
• Passed the California required safety inspection for working wipers, turn signals, lights, brakes, etc.• Clear California title and current California registration valid until August, 2018 for California buyers.
DETAILED SPECIFICATIONS OF THE 1978 PORSCHE 911 TARGA
• Rear-engine, rear-wheel-drive, 2+2-passenger, 2-door coupe• 3000 cc flat 6 engine
• 9.5:1 compression ratio
• Length 168.9”
• Wheelbase 89.4”
• Width 65”
• Height 52”
• Turning circle 35.9″
• Curb weight 2756 lb.
• Top speed 149 mph
• 0-60 mph time 5.9 sec
• ¼ mile w/ dead start 14.4 sec
• Fuel capacity 22.5 US gal, premium unleaded