1986.5 Porsche 928S – Exceptional Original Example
One Owner for 32+ Years – Documentation Includes Original Window Sticker, Bill of Sale, Books & Records
5.0 Liter 34-Valve V8, 288 hp w/ 5-speed Manual Borg Warner Transmission / Optional Limited Slip Differential
Factory Sunroof, Functional A/C, Original Blaupunkt Monterey AM/FM Radio
THE 1986.5 PORSCHE 928S – HISTORY
Considered as the “Best of the Best” by Porsche 928 enthusiasts, the 1986 ½ featured revised suspensions, larger 4-piston Brembo ABS brakes, and other mechanical updates while retaining the lighter chassis of other 928’s. Additional improvements found on the 1986.5 model year included a smaller battery compartment, revised differential plugs, and a redesigned fuel map.
Power was provided by a 32-valve, 5.0 liter 288 hp V8 engine and either an automatic or manual transmission. This example was produced with the more sought after 5-speed transmission on the optional limited-slip differential. The Porsche is fitted with stock 16” 7-slot alloy wheels fitted with new Toyo Proxy tires 1 year ago.
Many enthusiasts believe the 1986.5 represents the “Best of the Best” in 928’s retaining classic styling, but improved major mechanical components.
DETAILS—THIS PARTICULAR 1986.5 PORSCHE 928S
This 1986.5 Porsche 928S is an extremely original survivor with documented ownership history by one family for over 32 years. The Porsche odometer currently reads 66,723 and is supported chronologically by a clean CarFax including a history of the car passing smog and documented service records. It remains in totally stock configuration with the exception of replacement maintenance items and is in beautiful cosmetic and mechanical condition.
The car was originally sold at Porsche Audi Motorcars, Dayton Ohio, but has spent the majority of its life in Reno, Nevada. The car currently resides in Northern California, and, as is the case with virtually all of our vehicles, comes to us from a long-time customer as part of a collection of classic & exotic cars. For California buyers, the Porsche is currently licensed and registered with a clear California title.
The 928 includes extensive original delivery documentation in addition to service records, a totally clean CarFax record, and history of passing smog since new. Details include:
– Original Window Sticker
– Original Sale Invoice
– Complete set of tools
– Original Owner’s Manual
– Original Blaupunkt Monterey Radio & upgraded factory sound system
– Radio removal tools
– Factory original VIN and paint code stickers in place on driver’s side door jamb
The original factory documents validate the factory options as does the option sticker located under the rear hatch area. All of the factory options remain in place and include:
– 018 Steering wheel with raised hub
– 158 Blaupunkt Monterey cassette stereo
– 220 Limited-Slip differential
– 418 Protective side moldings
– 481 5-Speed manual gearbox
– 490 Sound system
– 494 Additional amplifier
– 533 Alarm system
The Porsche left the factory in desirable Prussian Blue Metallic, and recent paint meter readings are said to be consistent throughout the vehicle. The Porsche 928S was produced with galvanized steel panels and fitted with aluminum doors, fenders, and hood, all of which appear to be original t the car. A new lower front valance was fitted to the 928 about 1 year ago.
Car and Driver magazine once stated “In our collective opinion, the Porsche 928S is nearer perfection than any other GT ever built”. This particular 928S needs nothing to fully enjoy a unique driving experience.
This car has a history of being professionally maintained with considerable maintenance performed less than 1,000 miles ago and within the past year. The work included:
– New timing belt & tensioner
– R&R water pump
– New anti-freeze
– New power steering belt
– New A/C belt
– Replace valve cover gaskets
– Tune-up including spark plugs. Air filter, belts
– Complete oil service
– New tires
– New hood release cable
– R&R front & rear hood struts
– Replace front valance due to minor scrapes
- Aluminum 5.0 liter (302 cu. in.), 32-valve, DOHC V8 engine, 288 hp
- Fuel injection
- 5-speed Borg Warner manual transmission
- Widened track rear axle
- Stabilizer bars both front and rear
- 4-wheel independent suspension
- Vented power disc brakes w/ ABS
- Power rack and pinion steering
- Cruise control (currently inoperative)
- 7Jx16 forged alloy rims w/ anti-theft device
- Galvanized steel body
- Aluminum doors, fenders and hood
- Excellent original Prussian Blue Metallic paint
- Protective body side moldings; have prevented door dings
- Black front and rear spoilers in fine condition
- Black rear bumperettes in fine condition
- Nose and tail flexible panels in excellent condition
- Large factory wiper on hatchback glass
- Fog lights
- Heated electric power outside mirrors
- Beige leather seats with full leather interior. Rears as new, fronts show very minimal use but are very nice
- Fully adjustable front power seats
- Black factory seat belts, 3-point front/2-point rear
- 4-spoke leather steering wheel
- Adjustable steering column
- Excellent original door panels
- Excellent headliner and sun visors
- Beautiful crack free dash
- Excellent beige factory wool high quality carpet throughout
- Nice rear hatch area
- All gauges and lights function properly
- Variable intermittent wipers
- Air conditioning w/ automatic climate control; blows cold
- Factory original Blaupunkt Monterey AM/FM with upgraded factory sound – not working
- Hatch glass defogger
- Electric hatch release
- Power windows
- Central locking system
- Nice 928 logo sill plates
- Original factory tool kit
- “German” fit of body panels
- Smartly open/close “German” doors, hood and hatch
The body is accident free with excellent body gaps and no signs of previous or current damage. The Prussian Metallic paint appears to be original with paint meter reading revealing consistent numbers throughout. The paint is in remarkably good condition an and very high gloss, reflecting the care that this Porsche has received over the years and free from the usual front end nicks and chips that we see on 928’s and 911’s. There is a minor scratch on the left side door that is difficult to see in the photos, and any other very slight imperfections are difficult to notice, even upon close, critical inspection.
The flexible panels on the nose and rear are both nice. Both spoilers and the two rear bumperettes are in very good condition. All glass is excellent and free from damage. The original wheels are free any significant curb rash showing only signs of discoloration from age and the use of cleaning solvents. The exterior rubber and other trim is in equally fine condition.
The all original interior is similarly excellent. The seats, door panels, all carpeting, steering wheel, headliner, and sun visors are all in original condition with no damage and only signs of the patina of fine leather. The padded dash remains free from cracks, unusual especially for cars with the full leather interior upgrade. The hatch area shows as nicely as the cockpit with a complete, factory tool kit stowed in the rear compartment.
The engine compartment is in totally original configuration, very clean and well maintained by the long term owner. The under hood insulation is present and good with only one small area of deterioration. The underside of the car is free from damage and any sings of rust through reflecting only normal road and surface dirt consistent with a low mileage, limited use vehicle.
– Passed the California required safety inspection for working wipers, turn signals, lights, brakes, etc.
– Clean California title and current California registration
– Clean CARFAX report
– Original owner’s manual
– Original window sticker
– Maintenance receipts
– Original tool kit
SPECIFICATIONS OF THE 1986.5 PORSCHE 928 S
– 5.0 L V8 engine, 4 valves per cylinder, 288 hp
– 5 speed manual transmission
– Wheelbase 98.4”
– Length 178.1”
– Width 74.4”
– Height 50.5”
HISTORY OF THE PORSCHE 928
The Porsche 928 is a luxury GT car which was produced by Porsche AG of Germany from 1978 to 1995. Originally intended to replace the company’s well-known and famed 911, the 928 combined the power, poise, and handling of a sports car with the refinement, comfort, and equipment of a luxury sedan to create what some Porsche executives thought would be a vehicle with wider appeal than the compact, quirky and sometimes difficult 911.
Since its inception in 1949, Porsche has manufactured only seven front-engined models, four of which were coupes, including the 928. The car has the distinction of being the company’s only coupe powered by a front-mounted V8 engine, and the company’s first production V8 powered model.
The 928 featured a large, front-mounted and water-cooled V8 engine driving the rear wheels. Porsche utilized a transaxle in the 928 to help achieve 50/50 front/rear weight distribution, aiding the car’s balance. The body was mainly galvanized steel, but the doors, front fenders, and hood were aluminum in order to reduce weight. The 928 qualified as a 2+2, having two small seats in the rear. Both rear seats could be folded down for increased luggage area. It had a substantial luggage area accessed via a large hatchback. The 928 was the first vehicle in which the instrument cluster moved along with the adjustable steering wheel in order to maintain maximum instrument visibility. Porsche updated the North American 928 S for 1985 with a new 5.0 L DOHC engine sporting four valves per cylinder and producing 288 hp. These cars are sometimes unofficially called S3 to distinguish them from 16-valve “S” models.
The cars were assembled in Stuttgart, Germany. In 1984-1986 a total of 14,347 were made. Of the total production of 928’s for all model years, it is estimated that only 15-20% have manual transmissions.
PURCHASING A COLLECTOR VEHICLE – THINGS TO CONSIDER
As always, we recommend that you carefully review the seller’s background for any collector car being sold over the Internet. It is important to ask yourself a number of questions including, but not limited to:
– How long have they been in business?
– How much experience do they have with collector cars?
– How many positive collector car vehicle sales have they completed (positive eBay feedback)?
– How detailed/complete is the description of the vehicle?
– Do the photos show details of the interior, exterior, top, chrome, etc. or are they simply “glamour shots” taken from a distance?
– Does the seller have a Surety Bond to protect the financial transaction?
– What about insurance, licensing by the state, and a local business license?
– Does the seller (if a business) have any DMV (Motor Vehicle) complaints and/or other history of legal action, grievances?
– Does the seller enjoy a favorable local and national/international reputation?
– Can the seller assist with funding sources, transport and out of state/country sales?
ABOUT CLASSIC CARS LTD.
– Classic Cars Ltd. has been in the same, small, California town for over 26 years. We operate a small “brick & mortar”, indoor showroom, and specialize in the sale, consignment, and purchase of sports, high performance and specialty vehicles of all types. We have a particular interest in sports cars and unique vehicles.
– The majority of our vehicles come from local, private owners and collectors, and many were sold new in California. We appreciate that rust free cars, with excellent documentation and history are especially attractive to our buyers both locally, and around the country. As a result, we do not purchase our collectible cars from “distressed” sales, such as wholesale auctions, salvage sales, or lien sales. We do not sell vehicles with salvage titles, or those that have a history of significant accident damage or repair.
– We have sold hundreds of unique, classic and collectible vehicles and regularly deal with buyers that have not had the experience of purchasing a large (both physically and monetarily) item on eBay, or through an Internet source. Our eBay feedback is 100% positive on all vehicle sales from customers around the globe and is a reflection of our commitment to accurate, complete, and thorough vehicle descriptions.
– We have been shipping vehicles for years and have established excellent contacts that are not only high quality but very price competitive. We do not use brokers, terminal shipping or other discount methods. Call us or email for a quote directly to your home or office. We are often able to obtain quality enclosed transportation (the kind of travel this car deserves) for the cost of open shipping.
– Please review our feedback on eBay (user name Never22Many) representing over 1,000 positive transactions to buyers all over the United States / World.
– We are fully insured, bonded, and licensed for collector car sales all over the United States/World.
– Classic Cars Ltd. carries a $50,000 Surety bond to cover financial transactions
– We frequently sell vehicles to out of State / out of country buyers, and will be glad to provide references for buyers in your area.
MISCELLANEOUS GENERAL INFORMATION
– As with virtually all collector/specialty vehicles, we find that parts and resources are readily available for this (and most every vehicle), thanks in large part to the Internet.
– In addition to the purchase price of the vehicle, California buyers will be subject to sales tax, a documentation fee, DMV transfer fees and license/registration. Out-of-state buyers will be responsible for the purchase price of the vehicle and any local taxes/fees will be the purchaser’s responsibility to pay in their respective state. IMPORTANT NOTE: If the vehicle is delivered or driven in California and driven on California roads, sales-tax, license/registration and transfer fees will be assessed per California law.
– Please let us know if we can answer any questions about the vehicle; shipping alternatives, etc.
– We encourage inspections of this Porsche by serious, qualified individuals or professional inspectors. Please call at 925-846-1451 to arrange a convenient time.
– As with any collectible vehicle of this vintage we are unable to provide a warranty or guarantee of condition. However, we make every effort to accurately represent our vehicles, and highlight both positive items as well as areas that require attention. We ask that prospective buyers consider our eBay history/feedback, standing in the community, length of time in business, and other factors when purchasing a collectible vehicle from Classic Cars Ltd.
– Minor cosmetic issues/flaws may be present on every vehicle (regardless of cost) including small chips, nicks, scratches, etc. that can be seen on even the best restoration, or even a relatively new, used “pre-owned” vehicle. Also, ownership of a collectible / specialty vehicle is more enjoyable if the owner is familiar with the “realities” of these unique cars. Unlike more modern day vehicles, these cars require regular, ongoing care/maintenance and some mechanical knowledge, patience, and understanding can make the experience considerably more pleasant. That said, collector / “specialty” car owners will tell you (emphatically) that they love their cars and wouldn’t trade them for anything!!
– The information contained in this description is believed to be accurate but, in some instances, has been provided by the car’s owner / owners or outside sources. As a result, we are unable to guarantee the accuracy of the information. We encourage verification of “numbers” and significant data prior to the purchase of any collector vehicle that you are considering.
Classic Cars Ltd.