Desirable 1990 Porsche 911(964) Carrera Convertible (Cabriolet)
Desirable Black / Cashmere – 5 speed
Clean CARFAX – In California for 30 Years!
NOTE: Our listings are rather lengthy. They not only describe this particular car but also some history of the make/model, considerations in buying a classic car and facts about our firm. However, we continually hear from out of state / out of country buyers (many of our clients) that they prefer the level of detail that we provide. However, if you are not prepared to read the full listing, please review the OVERVIEW below along with the PHOTOGRAPHS at the bottom. If you’d prefer, please call us at 925-846-1451 and we’ll gladly discuss the Porsche and answer any questions over the telephone, including our “Buy it Now” policy. Yes, the Porsche can be purchased prior to the end of the eBay auction.
Please keep in mind that we will gladly…
- Answer any questions over the telephone and take the time to guide prospective customers through the buying process (925-846-1451).
- Assist with locating a quality, suitable transporter at very competitive prices.
- Provide proof that we are licensed, bonded (for the financial transaction), fully insured, and operate from an established showroom environment.
- Provide feedback from previous buyers, and specific references for vehicle purchases in your area (we also ask that you view our detailed eBay feedback by clicking on the number to the right of the eBay user name)
- Offer additional information including specific photographs or clarification of any part of our description of the vehicle
Thank you again, please let me know if I can be of assistance.
Paul R. Wankle, Pres., Classic Cars Ltd.
OVERVIEW—THIS PARTICULAR 1990 PORSCHE 964 CONVERTIBLE
This Porsche 964 is a joy to look at and a thrill to drive. It offers a wonderful blend of performance, handling and creature comforts that were lacking in earlier 911’s. However, it retains the classic Porsche styling cues that made these cars so very popular. The car is in lovely condition both cosmetically and mechanically. It has been regularly serviced by German repair specialists including a complete inspection within the past 100 miles. Major features include:
- Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) WP0CB2969LS470935
- 3.6 L 247 hp H6 engine with fuel injection and dual overhead cams
- 5 speed manual transmission
- Black power soft top in excellent condition
- Beautiful black paint
- Cashmere interior with upgraded draped leather seats
- Totally clean CARFAX
- Repair records and history
The Porsche is fitted with the following factory options & the factory sticker is still under the front “Frunk” as shown in the photos:
Exterior Color: L700 Black
Interior Color: LG
– C02 California delivered / smog legal
– 070 Tonneau Cover
– 158 Blaupunkt Reno SQR 46 Cassette Radio
– 220 Limited Slip Differential
– 454 Automatic Speed Control
– 494 Amplifier
– 935 Draped leather rear seats
– 980 Draped leather front seats
- Wheelbase 2,352 mm
- Length 4,432 mm
- Width 1990-2001 1,765 mm
- Height 1,306 mm
- Ground clearance 3 in
- Curb weight 2,904 lb (1,317 kg)
- 1990 production 28,040
- Assembled in Stuttgart, Germany
- 3.6 liter 247 hp H6 rear engine with fuel injection and dual overhead cams
- 4 valves per cylinder
- Water cooled engine
- 5 speed manual transmission
- Limited slip differential
- Power steering
- Power ABS disc brakes
- Power windows and locks
- Air conditioning
- Automatic speed control
- Spare tire in front compartment
The history of the Porsche indicates that, since its delivery on July 22, 1990, the car has received regular maintenance by the dealer or Porsche specialists. Additionally the car has a history of passing smog and will be delivered with a current California smog certificate to CA. buyers. While the maintenance history is too lengthy to list in detail, the following items are worth noting:
60,229 miles – O2 Sensor replaced
67,089 miles – Front rotors and pads replaced
A/C system & heating charged & checked
77,402 – Drive belts replaced
Rear brakes replaced
80,429 miles – Valves adjusted
87,272 miles – 90K service performed
Front brake pads replaced
Front rotors replaced
Rear brakes replaced
101,979 miles – Complete service by dealer
140,112 miles – New tires mount & balance
New front support struts
New rear support struts
Oil, filter, check fluids
Complete tune including plugs
140,479 miles – Replace intake boot and oil cooler breather hose
141,506 Complete oil service Syntec 20W/50
140,799 miles – Fresh brake fluid change
Oil & filter changed
Transmission fluid changed
A/C system changed R134
Clutch system bled & checked – OK
140,947 miles – Check condition of vehicle (checked by Porsche mechanic of 30+ years) – no needs identified
141,781 miles – New battery
NOTE: above summary does not include ongoing and frequent earlier oil services and smog checks.
SAFETY & SECURITY
- Factory 3- point seat belts front and rear
- Air bags—driver, passenger and side
- Factory alarm
- Beautiful black paint
- No curb rash under nose
- Black power convertible top (excellent condition with clear window and fully functional electric operation)
- Extendable rear spoiler
- Factory glass excellent (2 minor chips out of the line of vision in front windshield)
- “German” precision fit of all body panels
- All tan (Cashmere) leather interior
- Leather power front seat
- Leather rear seats with 3 point belts
- Porsche script floor mats
- No damage or flaws in upholstery or carpet
- All gauges work as normal
The Porsche presents very well both inside and out, suggesting meticulous care over its lifetime. The black paint remains in excellent condition with any of minor imperfections not affecting the overall appearance of the car. The characteristic “road rash” found on the hood and lower front area(s) of the 911 does not exist and only a few minor chips are noted.
The real taillights show minimal fading but the remainder of the lenses and trim show very well. Wheels are in good condition with the left and right rear showing a few minor scratches from curbing. Tires are high quality Michelin Pilots.
The interior rates very high as the photos suggest. The seats and door panels are completely free from no rips, tears or even moderate wear signs on the upholstery and carpeting. The dash does not have any cracks and the steering wheel, gauges and other interior bits are in very good order. The original radio has been replaced but the factory speakers remain in place. The extensive photographs reflect the car’s condition including the body, paint, engine compartment, interior, forward compartment and underside.
DRIVING THE PORSCHE 964
Maintenance history and recent service, it is no surprise that the car runs and drives extremely well. The car starts immediately when cold or warm, idles smoothly, and has excellent power form the air-cooled engine. The 911 has never been abused, tracked, or neglected by its responsible, mature owner.
The brakes are excellent and stop the car straight and sure with a functional hand brake. The steering is responsive and light as was typical on the 911’s of the era. There is no noise in the drive-line, the clutch engages properly and does not slip, chatter or exhibit any problems. The cars comes with receipts and registration slips that document repairs and, most important, the cars life-time California lineage that support the care that the car has received over the years.
- Current California registration and clear California title valid until June, 2020 for California buyers
- Passed the California required safety inspection for working wipers, turn signals, lights, brakes, tires, etc.
- Original owner’s manual included
- Average annual mileage of under 5,000 miles per year
- Clean CARFAX; no accidents
HISTORY—1990 PORSCHE 964
The Porsche 964 is the internal company designation for the Porsche 911 model manufactured and sold between 1998 and 2005. At its debut, the 964 featured the most significant changes to the Carrera model since its 1963 introduction. The most significant change with this new iteration is the water-cooled engine replacing the previously air-cooled engine. Progressively stringent noise regulations, environmental concerns, a higher expectation for refinement and a high-performance 4 valve per cylinder engine made the switch necessary. Other changes include a sleeker body with a more steeply raked windshield and a re-designed interior. Edmunds called the 964 variant the “most advanced car” that the company had built to date.
The Porsche 964 was an all-new design made by Harm Lagaay; the first new 911 that didn’t carry over significant components from a previous variant. It had all new body work, interior and drive-train. The Porsche 964 replaced the Porsche 993.
Porsche installed a single engine in all models of its 1990 Carrera, a rear-mounted 3.4-liter displacement H6 engine. An H-style engine puts the cylinder banks in opposition to one another; in this case, three per side to form an “H” appearance. This engine consisted of an aluminum alloy block and heads with a bore of 3.78 inches and a stroke of 3.07 inches.
Porsche outfitted this engine with dual overhead cams and installed its “VarioCam” variable valve control fuel-injection system. Each cylinder used four valves, for 24 valves total. This engine cranks out 296 horsepower at 6,800 rpm and 258 pound-feet of torque at 4,600 rpm, with a compression ratio of 11.3:1.
The first 964s were available as a coupe or cabriolet (convertible) initially with rear wheel, or later, with four-wheel drive. Porsche built the 911 coupe and convertible in a 2+2 configuration that seats four. The front bucket seats offered 38 inches of headroom, 41.6 inches of leg room and 51.7 inches of shoulder room. Convertible models offered a cargo space of 3.5 cubic feet.
The 1990 Porsche 911 can accelerate from 0 to 60 mph in 5.1 seconds and cross the ¼-mile mark in 13.3 seconds with a speed of 103 or 105 mph, depending on the drive configuration. It can hit a top speed of 172 mph.
The rear-wheel drive 911 rates 16-17 mpg during city driving and 25 mpg on the highway, with the automatic transmission models earning the slightly lower city driving fuel rating.
Classic Cars Ltd.