Desirable Petrol Blue/Green Metallic w/ Tan Leather; Two Tops
50,000 Actual Miles; Regularly Serviced w/ Records; Totally Clean CARFAX
Original Manuals; Very Well-Maintained, Extremely Clean 380SL
Christmas is Coming!!
DETAILS—THIS PARTICULAR 1985 MERCEDES-BENZ 380SL
We are regularly asked to locate very well maintained “honest” all original low mileage examples of the desirable Mercedes SL cars that many consider the “Best of the Best” in the class of 1980’s two-seaters. Frankly, many of the SL cars on the market today are not cars that we would consider worthy of consideration for our customers that are looking for high quality, pre-owned Mercedes convertibles. More often than not the available SL cars have very high mileage and have not received the necessary maintenance. That is certainly not the case with this particular SL.
This Mercedes is an exceptional example of a lifelong California 380Sl with two long-term owners (the most recent for 20+ years), low mileage, beautiful original paint in Petrol Blue/Green metallic, excellent color coordinated convertible top, and a matching factory hardtop.
This particular Mercedes 380SL was delivered to the original owner, Mr. Chippenfield, Ventura, CA. on 11/12/84 by Silver Star A.G., Ltd., Thousand Oaks, CA. The 380SL was owned by him until October, 1999, when the cars current owner took possession of the Mercedes with only ~36K miles. During her ownership, the car has only accumulated under 15,000 miles and has been used exclusively fair weather, occasional use car.
The CARFAX report supports the ownership history along with a clean history relative to accidents, theft, odometer rollback, flood, and other negative activity. The car has a history of passing required smog checks and the most recent maintenance by a German car specialist, gave the car a totally clean bill of health.
The car has a clear California title and is currently licensed and registered in California.
We have had the pleasure of selling more “SL” cars than we can remember! Frankly, this example is one of the best documented, lowest mileage, best looking & running example that we have had. The following documents will be provided to the new owner:
– Original 380SL Owner’s Manual
– Maintenance Booklet w/ maintenance entries through 30K miles) Other ongoing service documented by hard receipts)
– Mercedes Data Plate (“Protecto-Plate’) and factory internal production sheet
– Operation of 380SL Tops brochure
– Electronic Radio Operations Guide
– Operation and Care of SL Tops brochure
– Mercedes-Benz Dealer Directory
– Roadside Assistance Program brochure
– Owner’s Service & Warranty Policy
– Original Becker radio brochure
– Original Michelin tire brochure
– Mercedes cruise control operation tag
– Original Mercedes Benz Climate Control tag
– Still in bag, antenna cleaning cloth
– MBX warranty card
– MBZ service booklet with original service invoice
– Facts about car cover
– Brochure – Factory Approved Service Products
– Additional individual maintenance receipts for recent years
– Folder for above
The Petrol blue/green Metallic paint is all original and shows extremely well with no indications of partial or complete re-painting. The twin pinstripes, applied when the Mercedes was new, down the sides add a nice touch. The body remains free from damage and cosmetic imperfections that detract from the overall appearance of the Mercedes. The bight-work is equally excellent with no damage, fading or issues. The matching factory hard top is in fantastic condition as is the lovely “headliner” and all of the exterior trim. The dark brown factory soft top is in excellent condition with a totally clear rear window.
All stainless trim is in excellent shape. Bumper chrome is excellent. All four Mercedes wheels are in virtually perfect condition and have not been re-painted or refurbished remaining “Mercedes original.” They are free from the characteristic clear coat issues; show no signs of “curbing” or other damage. Tires are excellent showing no uneven wear and considerable remaining tread. All of the glass is excellent and carries the Mercedes factory logo. The rubber on the bumpers and body side mouldings is excellent.
The tan leather seating is beautiful and free from any rips, tears or damage. The beige carpeting is all very nice as are the beige door panels. The black padded dash is excellent and crack-free. The black leather-wrapped steering wheel is nice.
The engine compartment is extremely clean and free from any accumulation of grease or dirt. It reflects ongoing care and “no expense spared maintenance” to ensure that the car is in excellent mechanical condition at all times.
The trunk is fully carpeted in beige and appears as new. In fact, the spare has never been removed (except for photos for this sale) and the same is true with the tools which remain not only in their original canvas bag. The underside of the car is not detailed and reflects the cars California lineage and complete lack of rust and damage. With the exception of extremely light surface discoloration of the exhaust, there are no signs that the car has seen regular exposure to the elements. The frame, floors and other sub-structures are as solid as a rock, straight and damage free.
We encourage a thorough review of the photos and, in this case, the old adage “A photo is worth 1,000 words” certainly applies.
The car runs and drives as expected for a well maintained, low mileage Mercedes. It starts immediately when cold, and runs and drives extremely well. The idle is smooth and the car has been totally reliable. The Mercedes doesn’t exhibit any issues, runs cool even on the warmest days, and has excellent brakes and steering. The 380SL has disc brakes that stop the car straight and sure. The parking brake works properly.
The transmission is free from any issues and there are no signs of slipping, noise, or shifting issues. The remaining drive-line components are equally as good. The oil pressure reading is excellent, the temperature gauge stays in the lower/middle few hash marks (even on hot California days), and the charging system is excellent.
The air conditioning is fully functional and blows cold. Also, the climate control / heating & defrosting system is completely functional. Of course, the electrical system is also 100% operational including the cruise control and even the interior lighting on the hardtop!
This car has been regularly serviced as verified by the included Maintenance Booklet with records through 30K miles plus individual receipts since then by the current owner. The Mercedes was inspected within the previous 100 miles receiving the benefit of an oil service, A/C (13) recharge and new shock absorbers.
Since the car was delivered, it has been service by the MBZ dealer, or qualified specialists. The receipts are entirely too extensive to list in detail but we will gladly review them with serious, qualified buyers.
The photos show the sheer volume of maintenance work and it is apparent that the car has never been neglected, receiving virtually all recommended service with no deferred maintenance
– Light alloy V8 engine, 2 single overhead cams, and 5 main bearings
– KE III Electromechanical fuel injection
– 4-speed automatic transmission w/ torque converter
– Limited slip differential
– Unitized all-steel body
– Power assisted steering
– Cruise control
– Mercedes-Benz battery in enclosed case in trunk
– Fully independent suspension both front and rear; gas-pressurized shocks; coil springs; anti-roll bars
– Power assisted 4-wheel disc brakes; fronts ventilated
– Anti-lock braking system (ABS)
SAFETY AND SECURITY
- Supplemental restraint system (air bags)
- 3-point seat belts w/ inertial reels, front emergency tensioning retractors
- Head restraints
- Anti-theft alarm system w/ radio theft deterrent
- Petrol Blue/Green Metallic paint in excellent condition, twin pin stripes down both sides
- Hard top in matching Petrol Metallic w/ electrically heated rear window
- Excellent dark brown soft top
- Tinted glass all around in excellent condition
- Automatic radio antenna on left rear quarter
- Dual outside rear view mirrors
- German precision fit of all body panels
- Doors, hood and trunk lid open and close smartly
- Aerodynamic halogen head and fog lamps
- Excellent grille
- Excellent stainless steel trim around all windows, on the hard top and dual side strips
- Excellent bumpers w/ good chrome
- Black rubber body side mouldings atop one stainless steel side trim piece protects from door dings
- Black rubber on ends of both bumpers and bumper guards in fine condition
- All body tags match as original to this car
- Ten leather seating in good condition but does show use
- Fully adjustable bucket seats & head restraints
- Nice tan headliner in hard top
- Roof mounted assist grips on hard top
- Beautiful carpeting throughout in good condition, matching beige mats
- Excellent beige door panels w/ map pockets
- Black seat belts
- Dent-free, shiny sill plates
- Excellent black, no-cracks padded dash
- Faux wood trim on console
- Leather-covered steering wheel and gear selector
- Automatic climate control
- Central locking
- Electrically operated windows
- 2-speed windshield wipers w/ mist control
- Electronic AM/FM stereo radio w/ cassette player
- Front center folding armrest
- Tachometer/quartz chronometer
- Dual illuminated vanity mirrors
- Trunk contains original full size spare tire and tools that have never been used
- Excellent gold carpet throughout trunk
- Passed the California required safety inspection for working wipers, turn signals, lights, brakes, etc.
- Current California registration and clear California title
- Clean CARFAX; no accidents
SPECIFICATIONS OF THE 1985 MERCEDES-BENZ 380SL
- Length 180.3”
- Wheelbase 96.7”
- Width 70.5”
- Height 51.1”
- Turning circle 35.2’
- Curb weight 3705 lb.
- V8 engine w/ 2 single overhead cams, 5 main bearings
- KE III electromechanical fuel injection
- 4-speed automatic transmission w/ torque converter
- Rear axle ratio 2.47:1
- Unitized all-steel body
- Front suspension—independent w/ single upper control arm & single lower A-frame, coil springs, anti-roll bar, gas-pressurized shocks
- Rear suspension—independent, semi-trailing arms, 4 constant velocity joints, coil springs, anti-roll bar, gas-pressurized shocks, limited slip differential
- Disc brakes all around, front ventilated, anti-lock braking system
- Fuel 22.5 gal (plus 3 gal reserve), premium
- EPA mileage ratings 14 mpg city/17 mpg highway
HISTORY OF THE MERCEDES-BENZ 380SL
The Mercedes-Benz SL-Class is a grand touring sports car manufactured by Mercedes since 1954. The designation SL derives from the German Super-Leicht, (English: Super Light). The original idea was suggested by American importer Max Hoffman, who perceived a market for a toned-down Gran Prix car tailored to affluent performance enthusiasts in the booming post-war American market, which remains the primary market for the vehicles.
The term SL refers to the marketing variations of the vehicle, including the numerous engine configurations spanning six design generations.
Classic Cars Ltd.